Monday, January 27, 2014

Virus, Colds and Flu - OH MY!

Cold Weather wacks cold 

 Flu makes you Hack


Here in New Haven Connecticut, we are in another deep freeze that is expected to last a week. If you have found your way to this blog, I don't have to tell you that when the temps go down, the aches go up. Add in about 8 inches of snow we added this week, your body begins to behave like a barometer. Ah, winter. And January. And Cold.

I have been fortunate that I have not gotten a cold or the flu in about 5 years. And this year I have been especially careful washing my hands and all those crazy don't touch elevator buttons and things. But I do work out at a gym, which is inherently germy. 


I have always gone on the premise that I stay healthy because I am exposed to everything at the gym. 


Not this year. No.


Last Sunday I was basically coming down with a cold. I surrendered. Luckily, no fever, until I had one. Then it peaked at 101.5. Nothing real serious. But enough to miss my wife's Birthday dinner out at a nice french restaurant. And go to the doctor (they insisted) to see if had the flu, H1N1. 


Nope. Just a virus. Take home remedies and rest. Which I did all week. For me, that is a long time to be not moving, or going outside.

And that makes for a stiffer body and the aches with the fever ever more intense. What a joy is CPPD!

Just going to the bathroom and coming back I had the shivers so much that I jarred a couple of fillings I am sure! I had to sleep in a different room as not to disturb my wife with my deep cough.


My doctor said there are all sorts of nasty virus's out there and I was lucky I didn't get one of the more violent ones. Just my thinking. She said that even people that had the flu shot are getting sick. Which I did not get. 


Roll, Rest, Relax


My advice? I don't have to tell you if you suffer from a chronic auto immune disorder like arthritis, even the littlest obstacle can become impassible. So your only choice is to Roll with it, don't push it at all. Cancel everything. I took  my medication on a more regular basis (usually don't take things that make me tired - another type of obstacle). I rested and napped. Lots of green tea. Early to bed. But most of all, you have to try and relax. All that crap that has to get done will get done. Stress robs you of energy and increases pain.

That doesn't define you, 
your smile and outlook does. 

So don't get stressed out about being sick because it doesn't help you get better! 

Practice the three R's and you will recover nicely. 
(fingers crossed)

Tomorrow back to the gym - OH MY!

Bart Connors Szczarba



2 comments:

  1. "Stress robs you of energy and increases pain." Truer words have not been uttered. I love how you think, Bart. You've an amazing ability to find the bright side of a condition that could make Job weep. Such a great attitude! I'm adding your blog to RheumaBlog's blog list. Thanks for the cheerful words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank's for the kind words. I too love your upbeat and informative blog. However, you spelled Deposition wrong and the link goes to a store site. Thanks again so much.
    Glad there is someone out there reading and processing and helping.

    ReplyDelete