Saturday, September 26, 2015

Go Ahead, Add Injury to Insult!

Like Roseanne Roseannadanna says,
It's Always Something!



In my daily battle with my form of  inflammatory arthritis, Chondrocalcinosis, or CPPD,
every day is a challenge to keep active. Let alone deal with any other additional physical issues that invariably is dealt to us by just going about your business. 



You try like hell, to get enough rest, take care of flares, and exercise when you can. My primary exercise is walking at the gym with core exercises and some strength training. When I can. Walking helps keep my hips and knees flexible and more pain free.

Sitting is like Monty Python's spoof of the Spanish Inquisition making some prisoners sit in a "comfy chair" as torture. Sitting is the enemy. (google it)

My wife and I recently move from one side of Wooster Square to Wooster Street, the heart of New Haven's Italian section. Moving is hard enough, but my wife is an expert packer due to her background as an engineer. 

At times I felt helpless watching. We had a tag sale and I stupidly carried something wrong and sprained my lower back. Something I have not done in years. Some rest and physical therapy. Moving day came and the only thing I could do was corral our three dogs and keep them from barking.



My wife was a saint and savior during this ordeal. 

Just two days into physical therapy, while taking the dogs out, a new door we installed swung and cut my heel, about a 2 inch gash. No stitches but a doctor's visit, who said stay off it for 5 days. 

Day 10: Is my heel ever going to heal? Fortunately, last Saturday I was able to bike to a bridge opening.

And I am able to hobble. And I went on a boat ride, that sent me into state of exhaustion for the next day. It was well worth it if you check out pics from our Urban Birding Blog.  

I also attended a wedding of dear friends, whose vows invoked the ebbs and flows of the tide, the tides brings in, and washes away the past. 

One must live in the moments, enjoy what you can, make of what you can do. The only way I can make it through these tough times is with my wife, and having a purpose.

So my advice, to even me, is to get up and move!
Life's too short to wait for it to change, take advantage of your positives, reduce the negatives, and get a good therapist.

Deep in your mind your repetitive thinking can blow your "cut" into a life changing event, or you can realize that it will heal. You will get back on that treadmill and start walking, just as I will.

Hope to see you soon at the gym soon...



Keep Up the Good Fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment