Monday, September 15, 2014

Treading Life with Arthritis, is like Treading Water

The Tiring Tread of your life




One of the most difficult things to deal with my type of Inflammatory arthritis is the constant pain. Not those nasty bone aching flares, but the unbelievable stiffness one faces on a day to day basis. 

Is this pain worse that a flare? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But is is omnipresent. Like stifling heat or bitter cold. 

Is it going to kill me? No.
Is it difficult to function. Yes

I saw my doctor who says I am doing better this summer than last. I was on 30 mg of prednisone. 

But that was to keep my body from flaring. There is no cure for arthritis. It's kind of like, every (wo)man for themselves.

The pain persists, dealing with it is your choice.

How Long Can You Tread Water?



I say life with arthritis is a lot like treading water. Some people look at you and there is not a thing wrong with you. They do not know that your legs are pumping trying to keep your head above water, functioning on the surface as best you can.

Take the average person. 
Ask them how long they can tread water. 
One minute? 
Ten? 
An hour?
24 Hours?

You see, for those who can swim, treading water comes as natural as your mother's love. It's easy
and fun, unless your boat just sank and you are in the middle of the ocean.

Then treading water isn't as easy and isn't that much fun. In fact, you are trying to stay afloat until you can rest or be rescued.

With arthritis this daily pain is like constantly having to tread water. It gets harder. You get some rest, go tread some more. That's why it's so hard to fight this balance of living life while not getting so tired you crash and burn. Also, stress and anxiety are weights on your belt that makes treading water even that much harder. 

How do I cope? Cognitive behavioral therapy is first in order. And under Obamacare, it is now one of those things that are covered mandatory. You don't just get over a chronic medical illness. You need help. Otherwise you will drive yourself our your significant other crazy. 

Next I exercise. Or should I say, first I exercise. After about an hour or two in the morning, I am about as un-stiff as I get. I can walk to the gym which is a ten minute warm up. Then I either walk on an incline for over 30 minutes or 40 minutes on the eliptical. I then do some strength training. Other days, weather permitting, I bike from 15 to 20 miles. One day a week I work out with my trainer. Ouch.

All this is physical therapy for your mind as well as your body. The latest arthritis information says to exercise vigorously for 30 minutes 6 days a week to help lessen the symptoms and reduce flares.
Exercise helps you maintain a healthy weight. It helps you sleep and makes you look and feel better.

I know it's hard. This summer has been difficult to keep up the exercise on a consistent basis. But I just persevere to keep moving. I have found that less exercise in not better, after listening to my Doctor tell me "you can't exercise your way out of this disease." I backed off, I was frightened about aggravating the disease instead of trying to stay one step ahead of my (fill in your auto immune disease here). I feel better this summer with more exercise and I am off steroids (for now).

The last important coping mechanisms are medication and rest. Whatever medication you are on, you take what you have to with these diseases. 

I choose to take as little as possible. But I do take Mobic and Tramadol for pain. And I take a muscle relaxer at bedtime. If I have worked out, I sleep like a baby. 

Routine helps you live your life treading water. Hectic days can pull you under the surface. So rest is very important. Even if you are on vacation, don't burn yourself out trying to keep up. It's ok. Try to stick to a routine as much as possible and don't beat yourself up if you need time to rest.

I am going to head into this fall with an attitude of acceptance. Things are harder, especially when it gets colder. 

Treading the water of life is difficult while trying to live it... just try to keep moving and

Keep Up the Good Fight!

   Bart Connors Szczarba  

No comments:

Post a Comment