Monday, February 2, 2015

Winter and Arthritis makes for one scary roller coaster ride!

Frigid, Cold, Freezing, Icy, Dangerous Conditions
adds to an already challenging routine.


Routine:  Common placed tasks, chores, or duties as must be done regularly, or at specified intervals; typical or everyday activity.

Sounds a lot like life, as it comes to you daily. And then you do the things that need to get done, in spite
of all the obstacles and distractions that life throws at you.

Then throw in another burden
You have arthritis, or some other debilitating, 
inflammation producing, sleep disrupter.


Tiny Tufted Titmouse takes leap of faith

Easy as one, two, three


My wife says I do better with routine. And I would have to say yes, when you get a good, painless
routine going it is nice to stay in that grove. Because uncertainty, for some, brings anxiety, which can cause stress. If you are like me, stress can be the fuse that lights a flare and stress keeps it fueled.
My arthritis, CPPD, is known to attack after you have an illness. I guess just to add insult to injury. Or just flare up for no freakin reason.  

So what do you do? I give it a three pronged attack.

1. Try to find a good routine that challenges you (you have to exercise), that is fulfilling, enriching and makes you feel good. Good about how you're managing and being a good spouse, friend, mother, father ad infinitum. Who doesn't want a happy life and family?

2. Barriers. Barriers are things that get in the way of routine. Not unlike this week in New England. I was trying to re-establish a consistent gym routine. Then we had a blizzard. Its hard to walk to the gym which was closed anyway. 

Hawk Hiding in Storm.

These types of barriers happen every day and vary in importance. Like, your dog pooped in the house or a log on fire rolled out of your fireplace.  You see, everything is relative. 

Attempting to foresee any barriers before they occur can also help. Less surprise = less stress. We can never get rid of barriers in our life, we just need to learn to enjoy life despite them. 

3. Action and reaction. When confronted with these barriers, we can control our reaction to them, helping to reduce stress. In addition, you can have an action plan. Like this morning for example. We had another 6-8 inches with sleet and supposed icing up to a half inch on top. Ah, winter in New England.  This on top of our "Blizzard" that dumped 8 1/2 inches last week.


Blizzard covered Cherry Trees

Sounds like we're in a weather pattern, which is a lot like routine. And my action plan? I broke my Sunday's off of gym work, and went for a good exercise. Then I stretched for 20 minutes, coaxing aching joints to release arthritis's painful grip. 

So this morning I knew that I could take some extra time for myself. Get out of my wife's hair and just relax. I read the Sunday paper as yesterday's Super Bowl events had me doing my chores getting the place ready for the big game. I also made my famous Sausage Sunday Sauce, a spicy dish with the best Italian sausage (sweet and hot) made with a Sunday sauce to die for.

My point is, that to live our lives with these chronic illnesses, you need that three pronged attack. Routine, dealing with barriers and your reaction and actions. 

I find sticking to a routine a terribly frustrating journey. So I try to work my routines around these obstacles that I have tried to foresee. 

I know that in order to have the best quality of life with a chronic disease is to take charge, lessen your exposure to stress and try to go with the flow!



Keep up the Good Fight!
Bart Connors Szczarba

No comments:

Post a Comment