Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Gratitude: The Way of Saying Thank you, to YOU!

Counting Blessings


In my search for answers for my form of Arthritis (CPPD) and Fibromyalgia, I read many articles. Dealing with pain that is constant and varies with intensity can be tricky. 

One of the best ways to defeat your symptoms and pain is through gratitude

Gratitude?


What exactly is gratitude anyway?

 Dictionary.com defines Gratitude as:
 "the quality or feeling of being thankful"

How do you feel? 

It's hard to feel thankful for an awful dreaded disease like Arthritis. Especially if it is a painful and life altering as Rheumatoid Arthritis, or as in my case, CPPD.

But pain is a feeling. 
For most, it is really hard to control feelings.
 Have you ever had to control anger, jealousy, joy, laughter and while I'm at it hunger?

There are feelings that are tough to ignore. Like your pain, exhaustion, guilt, anxiety....

The list can go on and on.

But then there is gratitude.

Yes, Gratitude.

I can be thankful for the days that my arthritis is in remission. Like now when the temperatures here in New England warm up into the 70's.

I still have lot's of pain and stiffness.

But I have Gratitude.

I can be thankful that I can ride my bike, making me feel as if I can fly, as if I'm 16 again.

I ride my bike with my wife.

I am grateful for my wife and all the support
and understanding that she can give.
(she has to hear about the pain all the time)

I am grateful for the days I feel good at the gym.

I make it a point to give thanks for what I have that makes my life complete. My wife, my friends and of course my three dogs, Chyna, Zippy and Rockette (our newest edition) all help me through the toughest of days, the darkest of nights.

I make it a point to tell my wife that I feel good that day, and that everyday is not groundhog day.

I am grateful for all I have, the ability to share,
and the drive to keep going.

Gratefulness is a feeling you can give in to. 

And...

It makes you feel good to be thankful.

You think about all that is good in your world.
Smile, breathe, relax.... Repeat!

That can make you smile, and that helps me
deal with the everyday onslaught of symptoms.

Today I am happy and grateful.

And it's my way of saying thanks to myself too.

Thanks for stopping by 

and 

Keep up the Good Fight!

Bart Connors Szczarba
(Hamden Connecticut's Own Eagle!)




 

No comments:

Post a Comment