Saturday, November 16, 2013

New Normals Means Moving Barriers

Balance Brings Back Basics

What is your normal? What is normal? Why be Normal? Tough questions for anyone, let alone anyone who suffers from RA or CPPD. Maybe the question should be what is your normal today?

But days change, from brilliantly bright dazzling days to night while the world rests, as well as your body and mind. In order to be at peace, to live in your body, you need to know what your normal is. The best part? You don't have to explain, I understand.

Sometimes just the thought of having to do something can seem daunting. Sometimes I run around with my head cut off getting stuff done. What gives? That is my normal. Get it done when you can do it and don't worry about it when you don't.

Guilt and worry are wasted emotions. It is bad enough that you suffer from a degenerative disease that has taken control of your life. You don't have to feel guilty about your normal, your life. No one lives inside your body but you, do what you have to make your normal make you happy and at peace. 

A couple of days last week were especially hard. Every breath and every step was painful. I worried about the what ifs and felt guilty for not being able to do my share, be the partner my wife married.

Relax and breathe. All these conversations you have with yourself and your pain (which is very real) are all in your head. Let go and be there for your Love, however you can. The guilt and worrying just isn't worth the hassle. 

Try and live with your normal everyday. I wake up and don't know what the day will bring, what is going to hurt and who knows why.

This week was better. I stuck to my routine of stretching and hip extensions at the gym. I do Y,T and L's for my back with light weights. I walked, rowed and used the eliptical.  Then later in the day I had to nap... everyday this week I had the strength to work out and do a little around the house then nap.

That was my normal. This is my new normal. 

Move the barriers of guilt and anxiety to live in your normal, it's ok. 

Enjoy your normal this week and thanks for stopping by.

Bart Connors Szczarba

No comments:

Post a Comment